The Illinois Midterm Election | Nov. 6, 2018
Why Should I Care About the Midterm Election?
- The Midterms are important because they decide the make-up of Congress for the next two years. In this Midterm, 35 US Senate seats and all US House of Representative seats are being voted on.
- Who wins these seats will have a huge impact on state-level policy debates such as the 24/7 juvenile detention review, raising the age of juvenile court to 21, and access to mental health services.
- The next Governor and Attorney General will be in charge of and develop numerous policies and programs regarding youth justice reform, mental health services treatment, and changes in the criminal justice system. Read more about how this will impact the Moran Center by clicking this link: https://bit.ly/2EZoTtB.
How Do I Vote?
- Follow this guide: Mini-Voting Guide
- If you are an Evanston resident, go to the City of Evanston’s Voter Information Page.
- If you live in Illinois look at this blog post by Illinois Legal Aid Online.
- Learn how to vote as an ex-offender in Illinois at NonProfit Vote.
- Learn how to vote while homeless at NonProfit Vote.
How Do I Figure Out Who to Vote For?
- You can find a version of your ballot at ballotready.org which has information on each candidate, a link to their website and social media, along with which issues they have discussed during their campaign. You can also select candidates to add to your ballot to help you on Election Day.
- You can look at Injustice Watch’s Cook County judicial voting guide.
- Learn more about the Illinois Attorney General candidates with the Illinois Attorney General Candidates Criminal Justice Questionnaire by the Illinois Justice Project.