Moran Center attorneys currently provide direct legal representation to qualifying individuals in the following areas:
- Juvenile Court – Comprehensive legal representation of young people charged with juvenile felonies and misdemeanors. Most of our cases are litigated out of the Second Municipal District Courthouse of Cook County (Skokie Courthouse).
- Adult Criminal Court – Comprehensive legal representation of young people (26 or younger) charged with adult misdemeanors and felonies at the Skokie Courthouse.
- School Discipline – Representation of parents of school-aged children who have been suspended, expelled or otherwise disciplined at an Evanston-based school (District 65 or District 202).
- School Special Education – Representation and advocacy of parents of school-aged children in school special education matters at Evanston-based school (District 65 or District 202). Our advocacy includes assistance with the Individualized Education Program (IEP) process, Manifestation Determination Reviews and other special education proceedings.
- School-based Civil Legal Clinic – Opened in April 2018, the clinic provides free information and legal assistance on a wide variety of non-criminal topics including adoption/guardianship, family law, housing, public benefits, immigration, bankruptcy, and consumer protection. The civil legal clinic serves families living in the Chute attendance area.
- Ordinance Violations – Clients are represented in administrative hearings for ordinance violations including curfew violations, etc.
To participate in the above Legal Programs, clients must be (1) 26 or younger (or a parent of someone 26 or younger), (2) at or below 80% of poverty as determined by HUD, and (3) reside within City of Evanston or Evanston Township boundaries.