The James B. Moran Center for Youth Advocacy’s (“Moran Center”) Community Advocate will support clients and their families to access services and benefits by accompanying youth to appointments, navigating systems, and providing direct advocacy. The Community Advocate will report to the Deputy Director/Director of Social Work Services.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Transport and accompany clients and their families to court hearings and/or appointments with medical/social service providers;
- Transport and accompany clients and their families to state and federal agencies to access public benefits;
- Advocate for clients and their families in securing identified social services and public benefits;
- Identify and strengthen relationships with local community partners;
- Ensure all services are documented (e.g. face to face, phone and collateral contacts) in a timely and thorough manner;
- Ensure adherence to the Moran Center’s Confidentiality Policy;
- Participate in all supervision, case conferencing, trainings and team meetings; and
- Perform other tasks as identified and assigned by the Deputy Director/Director of Social Work Services.
The position involves a commitment of 5-10 hours per week, with an hourly compensation of $15 per hour.
- Two (2) or more years of experience working with youth and young adults is preferred;
- Fluency and proficiency in Spanish is preferred;
- Possess a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record;
- Access to an insured vehicle;
- Familiarity with the Evanston community;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule of evenings and weekends;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice;
- Understanding of and commitment to the Moran Center work and mission;
- Demonstrated cross-cultural competence and an ability to work with individuals from a wide range of diverse backgrounds;
- Comfort with ambiguity and a good sense of humor;
- Ability to work well in fast-paced, highly collaborative and interactive office; and
- Ability to work collaboratively with other staff in a legal setting.
The Moran Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer: People of color, women, persons with disabilities, the elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender, and Veterans are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by September 29, 2017. We will continue accepting resumes, however, until the position is filled.
VOLUNTEERS & INTERNS
We do not currently have any open volunteer or internship positions but thank you for your interest.